- The Washington Times - Monday, November 30, 2009

UPDATED:

WINDERMERE, Fla. — Tiger Woods has canceled meetings with state troopers about his car crash but says on his Web site that the accident was his fault and that he will not play this week at his 2009 Chevron World Challenge tournament.

“Due to injuries sustained in a one-car accident last week, Tiger Woods will be unable to play,” he said on Tigerwoods.com. “I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week. I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I’m very sorry that I can’t be there.”

Wood wrote Sunday that his wife, Elin, acted courageously to help him after the early Friday morning accident and that the remaining details are private.

“As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I’m pretty sore. This situation is my fault, and it’s obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I’m human and I’m not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn’t happen again,” he said in the statement.

The statement was posted about an hour before troopers were to meet with the world’s No. 1 golfer at his home inside the gates of Isleworth. A meeting was not rescheduled.

In a tape of a 911 call released Sunday, two days after the accident, a neighbor told dispatchers at about 2:15 a.m. that a black Cadillac Escalade hit a tree and “I have someone down in front of my house.”

Woods said it was a private matter and he wanted to keep it that way.

“Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible,” he said.

“The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false. This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be.”

On the Web: https://web.tigerwoods.com

Greg McLaughlin, Tiger Woods Foundation president and chief executive officer said Monday on the site: “We support Tiger’s decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge.” The tournament is in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Woods will not participate in any other tournaments in 2009 and will return to action next year.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide