- The Washington Times - Sunday, October 18, 2009

The clock ticking on his tenure as the Washington Redskins coach, Jim Zorn made the desperation move at halftime, benching Jason Campbell in favor of Todd Collins.

It still didn’t work.

The Redskins’ offense remains broke.

And their season is certainly on the brink of a complete disaster.

Ryan Succop’s 46-yard field goal with 3:36 remaining was the winning score in the Kansas City Chiefs’ 14-6 win, giving coach Todd Haley his first win. Succop’s 24-yard attempt with 37.5 seconds remaining provided the insurance.

The Redskins got the ball back at their own 7 and 31.5 seconds remaining but Collins was sacked by Tamba Hali for the safety.

By the end, the FedEx Field crowd was so apathetic, they didn’t even boo the 2-4 Redskins off the field, save for catcalls for Albert Haynesworth, who sprinted into the locker room with 24.1 seconds remaining.

Collins was 6-for-14 for 75 yards.

Clinton Portis rushed 15 times for 109 yards.

Trailing 9-6, the Redskins took possession at their 28 with 3:29 left but went three-and-out. Bobby Wade fumbled the punt return but Kansas City recovered with 1:52 remaining and bled the clock.

Campbell was benched for the first time in his starting career following a first half in which he was 9-of-16 for 89 yards.

The Redskins managed only 65 yards offense in the first half.

Collins’ first two drives produced field goals but the spark was quickly distinguished. Collins’ first pass was a 42-yard completion to Santana Moss that eventually set up Shaun Suisham’s 40-yard field goal.

On the Redskins’ next drive, Clinton Portis’ career-high 78-yard run gave Washington possession at the Chiefs 10 but he would have scored had fullback Mike Sellers finished his downfield block of Mike Brown.

From the 10, three Collins incompletions preceded Suisham’s 28-yard field goal for the Redskins’ first lead, 6-3.

The Redskins’ next two drives ended in punts. Glenn Pakulak’s punt was blocked with 9:50 remaining and Kansas City took over at midfield. But the Chiefs punted and the Redskins, starting at their own 3, punted it back.

The Redskins were again booed off the field at halftime following a mismanaged hurry-up drive that was anything but hurry up.

Taking over possession at their own 12 with 2:15 remaining and all three timeouts at their disposal, the Redskins left the field without a point — Campbell’s mini-Hail Mary was intercepted at the goal-line.

The big error came near midfield. The Redskins converted a third-and-1 but then wasted 32 seconds before the next snap.

Zorn opted for a pass from the 36-yard line for the final play as opposed to a long field goal.

Kansas City led 3-0 at halftime on Succop’s 39-yard field goal. The Chiefs drive to the Redskins 23 before the drive stalled with two Matt Cassel incompletions sandwiching a 2-yard scramble.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide