Monday, October 5, 2009



A driver shot in traffic stop

Anne Arundel County police said an officer shot a driver during a struggle after a traffic stop.

Police said the stop occurred shortly after 6 p.m. Saturday while the officer was patrolling in the area of Route 4. The driver traveled a short distance after the officer tried to stop the vehicle and pulled over inside the Prince George’s County line.

Police said a struggle ensued after the officer approached the driver. The unidentified officer was later treated for minor injuries and released from Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Demetrius Kendall Thompson, 41, of Lothian, suffered injuries that are not considered life-threatening and charges against him are pending investigations by Anne Arundel and Prince George’s County police.


Documents reveal details in death

According to court documents, a Frederick man accused of killing his wife waited an hour before dialing 911.

The charging documents also say Marshall Franklin Metz, 65, told officers he did not try to stop the bleeding or help his wife. Ann Sue Metz, 60, was shot twice Tuesday inside their home, according to the documents.

Mrs. Metz had a faint pulse when help arrived but died upon arrival at Frederick Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Metz has been charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder and a handgun violation.


D.C. officer involved in off-duty shooting

Prince George’s County police said an off-duty Metropolitan Police officer fired at suspects who tried to carjack the officer’s vehicle in Capitol Heights.

Police said the shooting occurred at about 6:20 Sunday morning.

The officer was not injured and told investigators he may have injured one of the suspects, who fled the scene after the shooting.

The officer was not identified. Police said the shooting occurred in the 1900 block of Brooks Drive.


Abducted boy, 2, returned to relative

Authorities said a 2-year-old boy has been found safe after being abducted from his Parkville home at about 12:40 a.m. Sunday.

Maryland State Police said Tyler Easton was dropped off safely at a relative’s home in Baltimore early Sunday. Police had said earlier that Tyler was taken by his father, who had threatened to harm himself and the child.

State Police Sgt. R. W. Riggin said the father left after dropping off the boy and was not in custody



Boat capsizes; 1 dead, 3 injured

One person died and three others were injured when a boat capsized near Hampton, the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard received the call about noon Sunday that an 18-foot boat had capsized about a mile east of Fort Monroe.

People in two boats pulled the four from the water and took them to a nearby marina, where they were taken to Sentara CareFlex Hospital.

One man died, and the remaining three were being treated for minor injuries.

The Coast Guard is investigating the incident.


Bus driver charged in fatal accident

Richmond police said a transit driver has been charged with reckless driving stemming from a fatal accident.

Police said Teresa L. Jones, 46, of Richmond, was operating a Greater Richmond Transit Co. bus that struck a pedestrian at a downtown intersection Wednesday morning.

Loucendia Reed Lambert, 55, of Disputanta, was pronounced dead at the scene.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide