Wednesday, October 7, 2009

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) | A mother will be reunited with her newborn son after losing him twice, first to a kidnapper and then to state custody after someone claimed a family member had tried to sell him.

The infant, Yair Anthony Carillo, is no longer in state custody, and authorities do not think parents Maria Gurrolla and Jose Carillo were involved in the abduction, the Department of Children’s Services and Nashville police said Tuesday.

Ms. Gurrolla lost custody of Yair and his three siblings after the baby was found safe in Alabama. Two officials familiar with the case, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it, said the state took the children after someone claimed a family member had tried to sell the baby.

Thomas Miller, an attorney appointed to represent the children, told the Associated Press that police informed child-welfare officials Tuesday that they had “cleared the parents of any wrongdoing.”

“The kids will be returned as soon as logistically possible,” Mr. Miller said.

The baby was found Friday, three days after he was abducted during a Sept. 29 knife attack on his mother in her home. Ms. Gurrolla was briefly reunited with the infant Saturday before the Children’s Services Department put him and his siblings - ages 3, 9 and 11 - in foster care for their safety. Department officials have declined to be more specific, citing privacy concerns for the family.

Tammy Renee Silas, 39, of Ardmore, Ala., was charged with kidnapping after authorities said they found the baby unharmed at her home about 80 miles south of Nashville.

Miss Silas has not been charged in the attack on Ms. Gurrolla, who was stabbed several times and had a collapsed lung.

The police statement said “significant unanswered questions remain” in the case, including why Ms. Gurrolla and her infant were targeted.

Ms. Gurrolla told investigators that after she was stabbed, the attacker made a phone call and said in Spanish, “The job is done” and the mother “was dying,” according to court documents.

Miss Silas, who remained in custody Tuesday, waived an initial hearing and has not yet appeared in court. She has given a statement to investigators, said Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Kristin Helm, who declined to detail what the woman said.

Ms. Gurrolla told investigators she had never seen the woman who stabbed her. According to the arrest warrant, Ms. Gurrolla was targeted while she and a cousin, identified only as “JS,” were running errands and visiting a state food assistance office.

A car that police said Miss Silas rented was seen on a surveillance video following Ms. Gurrolla before the attack, and the car-rental information led police to her home.

Police have not released a motive, but Miss Silas’ live-in boyfriend, Martin Rodriguez, told the AP that she said she could not have children and wanted to adopt a child from a relative in Texas who was going to jail.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide