- The Washington Times - Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NEW YORK — It looks as if Kanye West finally has given a personal apology to Taylor Swift.

Representatives from “The View” say Mr. West called the country singing sensation after her appearance on Tuesday’s show. During the broadcast, the 19-year-old Miss Swift said Mr. West had yet to contact her to apologize for hijacking her acceptance speech at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday.

“He has not personally reached out or anything, but if he wanted to say hi, (I would),” Miss Swift said.

After her comments, Mr. West called Miss Swift and the two spoke, according to a statement from “The View.”

“After the show he spoke personally to the country music superstar via telephone and has apologized to the 19-year-old singer. She has accepted Mr. West’s apology. The contents of the phone call are to remain private,” it read.

It’s the latest in the saga that has caused a national uproar. The drama began after Miss Swift beat out Beyonce and other acts to win best female video at the VMAs for her hit “You Belong With Me.”

Miss Swift, the first country act to win at the VMAs, was exuberant after her win, but that moment didn’t last long as Mr. West — known for his awards-show meltdowns — grabbed the microphone and declared that Beyonce’s “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” was one of the “best videos of all time.”

A shaken Miss Swift did not finish her speech at that moment, but when Beyonce later won for video of the year, she brought Miss Swift out so that she could have her moment.

When asked about the incident during her appearance on “The View,” Miss Swift said: “I’m not gonna say that I wasn’t riled by it. I had to perform live five minutes later, so I had to get myself back to the place where I could perform.”

However, she said she was gratified by the outpouring of support not only from fans but also from celebrities and others who offered support immediately after the incident.

“There were a lot of people around me backstage that were saying wonderful, incredible things and just having my back,” she said. “I just never imagined that there were that many people looking out for me.”

Mr. West has taken a drubbing since then. While he issued two apologies on his blog after the incident, he gave another, emotional one on Monday’s premiere of “The Jay Leno Show.”

“It was rude, period,” Mr. West said. “I need to, after this, take some time off and just analyze how I’m going to make it through the rest of this life, how I’m going to improve.”

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide