- The Washington Times - Tuesday, September 29, 2009


Sullenberger to return to cockpit

TEMPE | The pilot who safely guided a troubled US Airways flight into New York’s Hudson River will return to flying regular flights along with new duties as a management pilot.

The airline says Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger will be part of its flight operations safety management team. US Airways said it was still working out the details of his return to flight duties.

On Jan. 15, Mr. Sullenberger ditched the Airbus A320 in the Hudson after a collision with geese killed power in both engines minutes after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport. All 155 people aboard survived.

First Officer Jeffrey Skiles said in March that he would return to the cockpit.


Cremated remains stolen in burglary

BRADENTON | A Florida woman says a plastic bag that contained her uncle’s cremated remains was stolen during a burglary.

Denise Littler of Bradenton kept the ashes in a wooden box. She found the box after her home was burglarized Friday, but the ashes were gone.

Manatee County sheriff’s spokesman Dave Bristow said detectives determined that a video game console, two handguns, an underwater camera, a flute, a music stand and some model cars were also taken from Miss Littler’s home.

Mr. Bristow told the Tampa Tribune that it was a fairly typical burglary, “except for the ashes.”

Miss Littler stored them next to another box that contained her father’s cremated remains. Those ashes were not disturbed.


King heirs hold estate meeting

ATLANTA | The surviving children of Martin Luther King have met to formally discuss estate business for the first time in five years.

Martin Luther King III, the Rev. Bernice King and Dexter King are the remaining heirs of their father’s estate, which is a privately held corporation. The siblings are in the midst of a legal feud, with Martin King and Bernice King claiming Dexter King has acted improperly as head of the estate.

Fulton County Superior Court spokesman Don Plummer said all three appeared in a courtroom Monday for a closed-door shareholders meeting that had been ordered by a judge. The Kings last held an annual meeting to discuss the estate in 2004.

Dexter King has also sued his sister over her handling of their mother’s estate, which Bernice King runs.


Woman marks 92 with a sky-dive

KEENE | A 92-year-old New Hampshire woman has celebrated her birthday by sky-diving from a plane at 13,000 feet.

Swanzey resident Jane Bockstruck tells the Keene Sentinel newspaper that she doesn’t know what overcame her when she decided to take the parachute jump.

With a group of friends and relatives watching, Mrs. Bockstruck leaped Sept. 19 at the Jumptown sky-diving club in Orange, Mass., west of Boston. She says she doesn’t remember jumping from the plane.

But tandem partner and jump instructor Paul Peckham Jr. said she had perfect form and landed without a hitch.

He said she’s the oldest person he’s taken on a jump. The second-oldest was 78.

Mrs. Bockstruck says she’s been married seven times, has traveled the world and has had jobs ranging from hotel desk clerk to seamstress for the John Wayne movie “True Grit.”


1,400-pound bull drags officers

PATERSON | Police say a 1,400-pound bull that escaped from a northern New Jersey slaughterhouse dragged officers with a lasso down a street and ran 10 blocks before being captured and sedated.

Chief John DeCando, spokesman for the Paterson police’s animal control division, said the bull was being unloaded at ENA Meat Packing Inc. when it broke loose just before 8:30 a.m. Monday.

Police tried to corral the bull by lassoing a rope around the animal’s neck, but it dragged officers down the street instead.

Chief DeCando said traffic was light during the bull run. He said the area where the officers were dragged was not residential or near a school.

Officers finally corralled the animal, and Chief DeCando was able to sedate it.

No injuries were reported, and the bull was returned to the slaughterhouse.


Accused museum shooter at prison

BUTNER | An 89-year-old white supremacist charged with killing a security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington has arrived at a North Carolina prison for an evaluation of whether he’s competent to stand trial.

A spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons says James von Brunn arrived Friday at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, N.C.

Earlier this month, a judge ordered Mr. von Brunn to undergo the evaluation requested by his lawyer despite Mr. von Brunn’s objections.

Mr. von Brunn has been indicted on charges including first-degree murder in the June 10 death of Stephen T. Johns, who was black. Four of the charges carry a possible death penalty if Mr. von Brunn is convicted.

Mr. von Brunn was struck near the ear when other guards returned fire, but had healed enough to appear in court.


Man kills twin brother while parking

ALLENTOWN | A western Pennsylvania man trying to parallel park a minivan killed his identical twin brother, who was trying to guide him into the space.

Bethlehem police say Thomas Willgruber, 56, was outside the van helping his brother park when Timothy Willgruber lost control and pinned him against an SUV on Saturday afternoon. Thomas Willgruber died later that night at a hospital.

Police say Timothy Willgruber failed a field sobriety test. Police are considering charges against him, including drunken driving.

Thomas Willgruber’s wife, Nancy, calls it a “freak accident.” She told the Morning Call newspaper that “it’s not the right time to worry about blame.”

Relatives say the twins were best friends who rarely went a day without talking.


U.S. flag only had 43 stars

SAN ANTONIO | A star-spangled banner proudly displayed in Texas lacked a little something: seven stars.

A San Antonio company has replaced a U.S. flag it produced that had just 43 stars.

KSAT-TV reported that the banner was hanging at the Northside Independent School District Aquatics Center when somebody noticed the error.

Aquatics director Scott Zolinski said the center assumed the flag had 50 stars when it ordered the flag.

The last time the 43-star flag was official was in 1890.

Mr. Zolinski said the district “went on good faith that when you purchase the item that it was the real thing.”

Allied Advertising spokesman Jesse Castoreno said it was a “simple mistake” and the flag was designed by someone who is no longer employed at the company.

The company replaced the flag for free.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide