- The Washington Times - Friday, April 30, 2010

SEOUL (AP) — An American imprisoned in North Korea was allowed to speak to his family by telephone Friday, state media said in a report with few details and no clues whether he would be released.

North Korea’s highest court sentenced Aijalon Mahli Gomes to eight years of hard labor and fined him $700,000 in early April for entering the country illegally in January and for an unspecified “hostile act.”

Mr. Gomes, from Boston, was the fourth American detained by North Korea for illegal entry in less than a year. He had been teaching English in South Korea.

The official Korean Central News Agency reported that Mr. Gomes spoke with family on Friday. The call was allowed after Mr. Gomes asked “for a phone contact with his family for his health and other reasons,” the report said.

The brief dispatch from North Korea’s capital Pyongyang provided no further details on the call.

Thaleia Schlesinger, a spokeswoman in Boston for Mr. Gomes’ family, was trying to confirm the North Korean report with family members.

KCNA also said Mr. Gomes had contact in prison with a Swedish Embassy official to whom he handed a “written petition.” The report said that happened before the phone call but wasn’t specific.

The United States and North Korea do not have diplomatic relations, and Sweden handles U.S. interests in the North.

In Stockholm, Sweden’s Foreign Ministry said it was checking the report.

Journalists Laura Ling and Euna Lee were held for five months before North Korea released them last August, and activist Robert Park was expelled some 40 days after crossing into North Korea last Christmas.

Mr. Gomes’ motivation for entering North Korea is not clear, though he attended rallies in Seoul in support of Mr. Park, a fellow Christian who deliberately crossed the North’s border to call attention to the nation’s rights record. Mr. Park was released in February without charge after the regime said he “repented.”

Ling and Lee, who work for former U.S. Vice President Al Gore’s Current TV media venture, were sentenced to 12 years of hard labor for illegal entry and engaging in “hostile acts” after their arrest in March 2009 near the Chinese border.

They were freed in August after former President Bill Clinton traveled to Pyongyang to negotiate their release. Clinton met Kim.

Associated Press writers Russell Contreras in Boston and Karl Ritter in Stockholm contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide