- The Washington Times - Thursday, February 18, 2010


MIAMI (AP) — Eight American missionaries charged with child kidnapping in Haiti were back in the United States on Thursday, even as two others remained in a Haitian jail in an ordeal sparked by the group’s attempt to take 33 children out of the earthquake-stricken country.

The missionaries arrived at Miami International Airport on a U.S. Air Force C-130 just after midnight, about 12 hours after a Haitian judge approved their release. They spent a night in soft hotel beds at the airport before some were seen heading to gates for morning domestic flights.

Silas Thompson, 19, said it was “great” to be back on U.S. soil. Asked to name the first thing he’ll do when he gets home to Idaho, Mr. Thompson replied, “Hug my mom.” He spoke to reporters as he walked to the Delta terminal Thursday morning after emerging from the hotel with three other men, who all declined to identify themselves or answer questions.

Earlier, elated relatives expressed relief, including Sean Lankford, whose wife and daughter were among the eight released. When asked by the Associated Press how he felt late Wednesday, he offered two words: “Damn good.”

The group’s swift departure from Haiti began Wednesday when Judge Bernard Saint-Vil said eight of the 10 missionaries were free to leave without bail because parents of the children had testified they voluntarily gave their children to the missionaries in the belief the Americans would give them a better life.

“The parents gave their kids away voluntarily,” Judge Saint-Vil said in explaining his decision.

He said, however, that he still wanted to question the group’s leader, Laura Silsby, and her former nanny, Charisa Coulter, because they had visited Haiti before the quake to inquire about obtaining orphans.

Just after dusk in Haiti, the bedraggled, sweat-stained group of eight walked out of the jail escorted by U.S. diplomats. They waited until they were safely inside a white embassy van before some flashed smiles and gave a thumbs up to reporters. Their plane took off from Port-au-Prince shortly thereafter as a group of reporters watched.

The missionaries were charged with child kidnapping for trying to take 33 Haitian children to the Dominican Republic on Jan. 29 without Haitian adoption certificates.

Their detentions came just as aid officials were urging a halt to shortcut adoptions in the wake of the earthquake. Haiti’s No. 2 justice official, Claudy Gassent, informed the detainees of the judge’s decision, but said he also gave them a lecture.

“They know they broke the law,” he said.

The missionaries say they were on a do-it-youself “rescue mission” to take child quake victims to a hastily prepared orphanage in the Dominican Republic, denying the trafficking charge.

Ms. Silsby originally said they were taking only orphaned and abandoned children, but the Associated Press determined that at least 20 were handed over willingly by their parents, who said the Baptists had promised to educate them and let their parents visit.

Judge Saint-Vil said he did not release Ms. Silsby, 47, or Ms. Coulter, 24, because of their previous activities in Haiti during a December visit. Ms. Silsby hastily enlisted the rest of the group after the quake.

Ms. Coulter is diabetic, and the judge signed an order Wednesday afternoon authorizing her hospitalization.

He said he had planned to question both women Thursday but that Ms. Coulter’s health situation could prompt a delay. She was taken briefly to a U.S. field hospital on Wednesday for treatment after feeling faint but was then taken back to jail.

Ms. Silsby’s sister in Idaho, Kim Barton, said that learning her sister could not leave Haiti was difficult.

“At this point I don’t have any comment. I don’t know any more than you do,” Ms. Barton said.

Gary Lissade, the Haitian attorney for freed detainee Jim Allen of Amarillo, Texas, said he expected the charges to be dropped against the eight.

“My faith means everything to me, and I knew this moment would come when the truth would set me free,” Mr. Allen said in a statement issued by the Liberty Legal Institute in Plano, Texas.

Frank Bajak reported from Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide