- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DUBLIN | Northern Ireland’s police commander denounced Irish Republican Army dissidents Tuesday for giving his officers just 17 minutes to evacuate the center of a border town before a car bomb detonated.

Monday night’s attack on the courthouse in Newry, between Dublin and Belfast, was the first of its kind in nearly a decade.

Police said they still were trying to steer people away from the bomb when it exploded, causing little damage to the heavily fortified courthouse and injuring no one.

Police said the bomb contained 225 pounds of homemade explosive — much smaller than typical IRA car bombs. It appeared to catch police off guard because, unlike more than a dozen previous similar threats across Northern Ireland, this one actually detonated.

The police’s painstaking search for clues Tuesday brought heavy disruption to Newry, a shopping-center hub normally full of bargain hunters from the neighboring Republic of Ireland.

In Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton condemned the IRA dissidents’ latest bid to undermine Northern Ireland’s Catholic-Protestant government, the central achievement of a U.S.-brokered 1998 peace accord.

Both sides in the fragile coalition are planning next month to elect a new justice minister who would take responsibilities from Britain to oversee the province’s police and courts — a move bitterly opposed by IRA die-hards because it could strengthen Catholic support for law and order.

Mrs. Clinton, speaking alongside Britain’s visiting secretary of state for Northern Ireland, Shaun Woodward, called the Newry blast “another cowardly act of violence by those who prefer to plant bombs than to argue for votes and to participate in the political process.”

Police said callers using recognized dissident IRA code words called Newry’s hospital and businesses after ramming the car bomb into the courthouse’s front security gates. They said the blast came just 17 minutes after police got word.

“The time we got to respond was very limited. It was reckless and callous,” Chief Constable Matt Baggott told reporters.

During the worst decades of Northern Ireland’s conflict — when the IRA regularly planted vehicle bombs ranging from 500 pounds to 2,000 pounds — police became expert at evacuating people from the imminent blast area. Citizens were usually maimed or killed when police received less than 30 minutes’ warning and no precise description of the bomb’s location.

The outlawed IRA, which renounced violence and disarmed in 2005, typically telephoned warnings when its bombers targeted civilian sites such as shopping centers. Its chief goal in those cases was to inflict financial losses and portray Northern Ireland as ungovernable.

In the most notorious case, the Real IRA faction made three calls on Aug. 15, 1998, warning of a car bomb near the courthouse in Omagh on a bustling Saturday afternoon. Police moved crowds of shoppers and workers away from that building — and unwittingly straight into the blast. Twenty-nine people, mostly women and children, were killed in the single deadliest explosion from the entire Northern Ireland conflict.

IRA dissidents last exploded car bombs in 2001, when a trio of blasts shook London and the central English city of Birmingham to little effect. That bombing team was caught and imprisoned.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide