- The Washington Times - Wednesday, March 24, 2010

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. | The gun used to kill three people during a faculty meeting at an Alabama school was bought for the suspect’s husband two decades ago when he said he was having problems with a neighbor, an investigator testified Thursday.

The investigator told a judge that an acquaintance bought the gun in New Hampshire for Amy Bishop’s husband to skirt a waiting period where the couple lived in Massachusetts.

Huntsville police investigator Charlie Gray also testified that Ms. Bishop denied to officers that she had anything to do with the rampage at a biology department faculty meeting Feb. 12, which also wounded three others.

Ms. Bishop, making her first court appearance, was denied bond during a brief hearing. The capital murder case against her was sent to a grand jury, which is not expected to hear it for several months.

Looking gaunt and wearing a red jail jumpsuit and handcuffs, Ms. Bishop made no comment.

The 45-year-old Harvard-educated biologist was arrested shortly after the shootings. The gun was found in a bathroom trash can a floor below the faculty conference room, with Mrs. Bishop’s bloodied red-and-black plaid coat on top of it, according to testimony.

During the hearing, Mr. Gray testified that the gun used in the shootings was purchased in 1989 for Ms. Bishop’s husband, James Anderson, by a man in New Hampshire identified as Donald Proulx. He said Mr. Proulx told federal agents that he thought he purchased the gun in Troy, N.H.

Mr. Gray said Mr. Proulx told federal agents that Mr. Anderson, who was living in Massachusetts, asked him to buy the gun because Mr. Anderson was having problems with a neighbor and New Hampshire didn’t have a waiting period for gun purchases.

Mr. Anderson was not in the courtroom for the hearing. He previously told the Associated Press that he knew about the gun and joined Ms. Bishop in target practice.

Mr. Anderson declined to comment when reached at the family’s home Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Proulx’s father, Donald Proulx Sr., said his son lives in Florida but he doesn’t know where or how to reach him. He told the AP on Tuesday that he met Ms. Bishop’s husband “a couple of times, that’s it. I have no relationship with him.”

Mr. Gray testified that Ms. Bishop, during a taped interview that lasted more than two hours, was not agitated but “seemed calm, she seemed very intelligent” as she denied having anything to do with the shootings.

“She said it was no way she was there, no way it happened. ‘I wasn’t there.’ That kept being a reoccurring thing throughout the interview,” Mr. Gray said.

Ms. Bishop’s attorney has said that she doesn’t remember the shootings. In her only public comments since the killings, Ms. Bishop said the shootings “didn’t happen.”

Ms. Bishop is charged with capital murder, which can bring the death penalty if she is convicted. Prosecutors have not announced a decision on whether they will seek a death penalty.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide