- The Washington Times - Sunday, March 7, 2010

BEIJING (AP) — A Chinese official says China has had no direct contact with Google over the company’s threat in January to shut down its China-based search service.

The China Daily newspaper reported Saturday that Miao Wei, the vice minister of industry and information technology, said there have been no negotiations with Google on that topic.

Some reports have said China and Google have held talks on the issue. Google had said it planned to talk with Chinese officials.

Miao was speaking on the sidelines of the National People’s Congress in Beijing.

Google in January threatened to leave China and said its e-mail service had been hacked from inside the country. China’s government denies any involvement.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide