- Associated Press - Tuesday, April 26, 2011

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A man suspected of leaving a pipe bomb and two propane tanks at a Denver-area shopping mall has been arrested 30 miles northwest in Boulder, authorities said Tuesday.

Earl Albert Moore, 65, was captured Tuesday at a grocery store, said Boulder Police spokeswoman Kim Kobel.

He was taken into custody by the FBI, but it wasn’t immediately clear where he was being held.

Authorities have been searching for Mr. Moore since the explosives were discovered April 20 at the Southwest Plaza mall in the south Denver suburbs. The bomb and tanks were found after a fire, but they didn’t detonate. No injuries were reported.

The fire occurred on the 12th anniversary of the shootings at Columbine High School, which is about two miles from the mall. Authorities also noted that the times of the mall fire and the Columbine shootings were similar, as was the use of a pipe bomb and propane tanks, which were used during the attack at the school in 1999 that killed 12 students and a teacher.

But on Monday, the FBI said the fire likely was not related to Columbine. Investigators said they found a motive but have not released additional information.

Authorities scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

The bomb and tanks were found in a hallway of the mall’s food court after firefighters responded to the fire. The explosives prompted an evacuation of the mall. No one was injured.

The FBI on Sunday alerted field offices covering all 50 states and Puerto Rico to be on the lookout for Mr. Moore. Surveillance video showed images of him in the mall and on a bus.

Federal Bureau of Prisons records show that Mr. Moore was released from federal prison April 13 after serving time in Atlanta and Estill, S.C. Federal court record show that Mr. Moore pleaded guilty in May 2005 to robbing a bank in Crab Orchard, W.Va., of $2,546.

A judge sentenced Moore to 18 years in prison for the bank robbery, but a federal appeals court in 2006 ruled his stiff sentence was “unreasonable,” and Mr. Moore’s sentence was reduced to seven years. Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesman Edmond Ross said Mr. Moore received a “good conduct” release from prison after serving six years of his sentence.

Mr. Moore has an extensive criminal record.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation records show several arrests for possession of dangerous drugs, theft and possession of burglary tools dating to 1984. Court records show that an arrest warrant had been issued for Mr. Moore in September 2004, six months before the West Virginia bank robbery, for his failure to appear at a court hearing related to a burglary case.

Mr. Moore also served a year in the Danbury, Conn., federal prison in 1983, according to Mr. Ross. In 1985, Mr. Moore pleaded guilty to unlawful escape from custody of the attorney general and possession of an unregistered firearm. Details of that case, including where he served his prison sentence, were not immediately available from the Federal Records Center in suburban Denver.

Mr. Moore has used at least seven aliases that include variations of the names Earl Albert Buchannan, Donald Charles Morelli and Gary Steele, according to state arrest records. In addition, the FBI said Mr. Moore also uses the alias John Lindzy.

Mr. Moore lived in Colorado at least part time from the mid-1980s to 2004, according to public records.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide