- Associated Press - Thursday, June 2, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top U.S. military officer said Thursday that Gen. David H. Petraeus has not yet made his recommendation on the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan, but it will come in the next few weeks and move rapidly after that.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said no one knows how big the reduction will be. He warned that the military must make a recommendation that does not erode the progress that troops have made in the past year.

Some lawmakers have suggested that the killing of Osama bin Laden last month should result in a more rapid end to the U.S. involvement in the war.

President Obama has said that the drawdown of troops will begin in July. Roughly 100,000 U.S. troops are in Afghanistan.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide