- - Sunday, June 5, 2011

PGA

Stricker posts one-shot victory in the Memorial

DUBLIN, Ohio — Steve Stricker finally found the winning formula at the Memorial on Sunday. Stricker, who had never finished in the top 10 in his 11 previous trips to Muirfield Village, built a big lead on the front nine, then relied on his silky putting stroke for two clutch pars to hang on for a one-shot victory over Matt Kuchar and Brandt Jobe.

He closed with a 4-under 68, lagging from 20 feet for a two-putt bogey on the 18th hole. By then, the hard work was over. Stricker twice saved par from bunkers on the 16th and 17th holes, making putts of 15 feet and 7 feet to go to the last hole with a two-shot lead.

He finished at 16-under 272 and earned $1,116,000 for his 10th PGA Tour title and sixth in three years. He moved to No. 4 in the world, becoming the highest-ranked American for the first time in his career. Kuchar and Jobe closed with 65s.

LPGA

Lincicome captures first tournament in two years

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. — Brittany Lincicome made a 4-foot birdie putt on the final hole to win the ShopRite LPGA Classic for her fourth LPGA Tour title and first in two years.

Lincicome closed with a bogey-free 5-under 66 for a one-shot victory over third-ranked Jiyai Shin (6) and No. 4 Cristie Kerr (69). It was Lincicome’s first win since the 2009 Kraft Nabisco.

PRO BASKETBALL

Kuester out as Pistons’ coach after two seasons

DETROIT — The Detroit Pistons fired coach John Kuester on Sunday, the move coming four days after Tom Gores completed an agreement to purchase the NBA franchise from Karen Davidson.

Kuester was 57-107 over two years with Detroit, which failed to make the postseason in consecutive seasons for the first time since missing it three straight times from 1993-95.

Detroit won its third championship in 2004, part of a six-year streak in which the team reached at least the conference finals, but the Pistons went 27-55 in 2009-10 and 30-52 this past season.

SOCCER

Suspended FIFA exec keeps mum on email with Blatter

FELICITY, Trinidad — Suspended FIFA executive Jack Warner reneged on a pledge Sunday to reveal details of an email exchange with Sepp Blatter, which he had previously said would shed light on an ongoing bribery probe.

At a rally that drew a few thousand supporters, Warner said he decided not to disclose the contents of the email because “the best legal advice received at home and abroad has suggested that I do not do so at this time.”

Caribbean soccer leaders are alleged to have been paid $40,000 each to back Mohamed bin Hammam’s presidential bid during a visit to Warner’s native Trinidad.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide