- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 27, 2012

People who were in the group of young men arrested and charged in connection with the armed robbery and stabbing death of a teen at the Woodley Park Metro Station gave police detailed descriptions of the robbery, according to court documents.

Charging documents for three of the 17-year-olds facing adult armed robbery charges in the Nov. 17 melee — Gary Maye of Hyattsville, Deon Jefferson of Landover and Immanuel Swann of Brentwood — describe the three boys’ participation in stealing 17-year-old Olijawon Griffin’s jacket, cell phone and cap.

After the robbery, Griffin and a friend encountered the group in the Metro station and Griffin demanded his things back. According to police, a surveillance camera shows 17-year-old Chavez Myers sneaking up behind Griffin and stabbing him in the chest during a brawl on the Metro platform. Mr. Myers has been charged as an adult with second-degree murder and assault with a dangerous weapon.

The charging documents rely on the accounts of three of the other boys arrested in connection with the incident. They face juvenile assault charges. A total of nine people have been arrested.

According to court documents, a group including the arrested teens was hanging out at a McDonald’s in Adams Morgan when they were asked if they had any marijuana. One of the boys in the group told police that Mr. Maye — who is also known as Jarome Smith — said that he liked Griffin’s Helly Hansen coat. Mr. Maye told Griffin that they did have marijuana, but they would have to step away from the restaurant to sell it. This boy told police he stayed behind, but several in the group, including Mr. Maye and Mr. Jefferson, went outside to meet Griffin.

The documents state another boy who went with the group told police that Mr. Swann was handed a gun by another in the group and pointed it at Griffin, asking him to take off his coat. Griffin handed over his coat and the group of boys also stole his phone, hat and shoes. At the request of one of the boys in the group, Griffin’s shoes were returned. Mr. Jefferson put on Griffin’s jacket and wore it the rest of the night.

Another boy told police that later that night, when the group saw Griffin and his friend enter the Metro station, Mr. Jefferson said, “It’s game time, fellas.” Court documents say Griffin’s friend was also robbed, though they do not specify what was stolen. The situation devolved into the fatal brawl during which Griffin was stabbed.

Police found a .45-caliber handgun behind a wall locker on the far north end of the platform, a bloody knife on top of a pylon close to that, and a second knife in a phone booth at the other end of the platform, according to the charging documents. These items were close to the areas where Mr. Maye, Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Swann were during the incident, police said.

A fourth teen was charged as an adult with an robbery that occurred during the melee, but those charging documents were not available Tuesday afternoon.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide