The son of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi on Monday accused the military of kidnapping his father and vowed to take legal action against the army chief.
“What happened is a complete crime of abduction and no less and a perfect example of the kidnapping of the people’s will and kidnapping of an entire nation,” Osama Morsi told reporters in Cairo, according to a video recording of the news conference.
The younger Mr. Morsi said his family will begin legal action immediately against military chief Gen. Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi and his “junta.”
Gen. el-Sissi ousted Mr. Morsi’s father from office on July 3 following four days of protests during which millions of people demanded the Islamist president step down, accusing him of undermining democracy and wrecking the economy.
Gen. el-Sissi last week retained the post of defense minister and was given the duties of first deputy prime minister in the government of interim Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi.
The elder Mr. Morsi has been held at an undisclosed location since his ouster. His supporters believe is being held at the Republican Guard Club in Cairo.
The younger Mr. Morsi said that neither he nor his family has been able to communicate “legally or illegally” with the former president since he was removed from office and that they did not know where he is being held.
Mr. Morsi said his father is still the legitimate president of Egypt.