- Associated Press - Sunday, August 10, 2014

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel has accepted an Egyptian proposal for a new 72-hour cease-fire with Gaza militants.

The move clears the way for the resumption of indirect talks on a long-term cease-fire arrangement in Hamas-ruled Gaza after a month of heavy fighting.

Egypt brokered a similar truce last week. But after the three-day window, militants resumed rocket fire on Israel and new fighting erupted.

The Israeli officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, said they accepted Egypt’s latest offer Sunday. But they said they were wary after last week’s breakdown.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide