- Associated Press - Sunday, August 10, 2014

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. (AP) - A street in Schenectady has been evacuated after a vacant home exploded following reports of a gas leak.

Firefighters responded to the home on Paige Street to extinguish a small fire following the explosion Sunday afternoon. Onlookers and neighbors were ordered back from the scene after the smell of natural gas was detected.

The Daily Gazette of Schenectady reports (https://bit.ly/1sLpekv ) that it appears no one was injured in the blast, which remains under investigation.

Thomas Batcher lives next door and tells the newspaper that he smelled gas for a few days before the explosion. He says he heard a “big pop” from the explosion, which damaged his van and the side of his home.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide