- Associated Press - Monday, August 11, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Los Angeles Fire Department says a man is in grave condition in a hospital after being rescued from a burning duplex.

Fire spokesman Erik Scott says the man was unresponsive with no pulse when he was pulled from the one-story duplex in South Los Angeles at about 1:30 a.m. Monday.

Scott says 40 firefighters put out the blaze in about 20 minutes and kept it from spreading to the other side of the duplex.

Officials say the man’s pulse was revived in an ambulance but he was in grave condition at the hospital.

Scott says there was a smoke alarm in the house, but it didn’t appear to be working, and firefighters are handing out detectors to other houses in the neighborhood.



The fire was started by a cigarette.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide