- Associated Press - Monday, August 11, 2014

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Hairspray and a candle are blamed for a fire that left a 2-year-old Wichita boy with second-degree burns.

KAKE-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1pntUvP ) the accident happened Monday afternoon in the western part of the city.

Police say a 12-year-old and an 8-year-old were watching their younger siblings while their parents were at work. The older children left the toddler on a bathroom counter after brushing their teeth.

The 2-year-old knocked over a plastic bottle containing a flammable liquid thought to be hairspray, and a candle ignited the liquid.

Police said the 12-year-old carried the toddler to the home of a neighbor, who called for help. The 2-year-old was hospitalized with burns on his upper body.



No criminal charges are expected.

___

Information from: KAKE-TV.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide