- Associated Press - Friday, August 15, 2014

HOUSTON (AP) - A hearing scheduled for Friday was postponed for a 71-year-old New York City real estate heir charged with criminal mischief for urinating on candy at a Houston drug store.

The court appearance was rescheduled to Sept. 16 on the most recent misdemeanor charge alleging Robert Durst urinated on a cash register and candy last month at a store near his Houston residence. He remains free on $5,000 bond he posted a few days after the incident not far from his Houston residence.

“We’ll be visiting with the prosecutors between now and then,” Durst’s attorney, Chip Lewis, said.

Durst a decade ago was acquitted of homicide charges, calling it self-defense when he admitted to killing his neighbor in Galveston, dismembering the body and dumping the remains in Galveston Bay.

Durst is the son of the late Seymour Durst, patriarch of the privately held billion-dollar Durst Organization that owns several New York skyscrapers.

The gray-haired frail-looking Durst sat Friday in the back row of a Harris County criminal court-at-law courtroom, acknowledged his name when it was announced during the docket call, then left with Lewis without appearing before Judge Don Smyth.

If convicted of the criminal mischief charge, he could get up to six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

The manager of the drug store knew him and a police affidavit said Durst purchased a prescription, urinated on a cash register and the candy, then casually walked out of the business that Sunday afternoon. Specifically, he’s accused of ruining 108 candy bars worth just over $150.

In 2001, Durst was arrested as a fugitive and admitted killing his neighbor, dismembering the body and dumping the remains in Galveston Bay. He said the killing was in self-defense and two years later in Galveston was acquitted of homicide charges.

Durst is known for his erratic behavior. At his Galveston trial, a psychiatrist testified he suffers from a mild form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome, which contributes to his poor judgment.

Durst’s record includes pleading guilty in Galveston to felony evidence-tampering and bail-jumping charges. He served nine months in a New Jersey federal prison after pleading guilty to possessing two pistols after he jumped bail in October 2001. He was arrested Nov. 30, 2001, for shoplifting from a Pennsylvania supermarket. He had $38,000 in his rental car trunk at the time.

He moved to Galveston, about 60 miles southeast of Houston, amid an investigation into the 1982 disappearance of his first wife, He posed as a mute woman and lived in a dingy apartment where he met Morris Black, the man whose body was dismembered.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide