- Associated Press - Friday, August 15, 2014

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire officials say a large-scale response to reports of multiple hotel rooms burning at a Las Vegas Strip resort-casino discovered just a small blaze in a trash can.

Clark County Deputy Fire Chief John Steinbeck says in a news release that seven engine companies, two ladder trucks, two rescue units and various other personnel responded at 1:12 p.m. Friday to reports of rooms on fire at the Cosmopolitan.

He says the fire in the trash can of a room was caused by a discarded cigarette and led to smoke damage estimated at $10,000. No injuries have been reported.

A discarded cigarette also caused a fire at an apartment complex a few miles away earlier Friday. Steinbeck says firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading beyond one unit, but it caused about $70,000 in damage.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide