- Associated Press - Sunday, August 24, 2014

LONDON (AP) - British pop star Cliff Richard says police have questioned him about a sexual assault allegation.

A statement issued Sunday on behalf of Richard says the allegation that he assaulted a boy at a religious rally in Sheffield, northern England, in the 1980s is “completely false.”

Police, who do not name suspects unless they are charged, said a 73-year-old man was interviewed under caution at a police station Saturday. He was not arrested.

“Under caution” means the interview was recorded and could be used in future prosecutions.

Earlier this month police searched a house belonging to Richard near London after receiving what they called “an allegation of a sexual nature.”

Richard was one of Britain’s first rock stars in the 1950s and has recorded hit singles over the past six decades.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide