- Associated Press - Wednesday, August 27, 2014

INDEPENDECE, Mo. (AP) - Police say a natural gas leak sparked an explosion that leveled an Independence home.

Authorities announced the cause of the blast Tuesday night. They haven’t determined the source of the leak.

Firefighters were called to the single-story home Tuesday afternoon. All of the walls caved in and only the fireplace was left standing. The three people who occupied the home were away during the explosion. No family members or neighbors were injured.

The family had lived in the house since 1971.

Several pets were in the home at the time. A pug and a border collie were thrown into a neighbor’s yard. They are being treated at the Great Plains SPCA animal shelter. Three other pets are presumed dead.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide