- Associated Press - Thursday, August 7, 2014

WAYNE, W.Va. (AP) - A state official says an overloaded power outlet caused a fire that destroyed the Ballard’s Farm Sausage plant in Wayne County.

The fire occurred Monday morning at the family-owned plant.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Ryan McFarland tells The Herald-Dispatch (https://bit.ly/1mp76GT ) that the power outlet was in a second-floor office adjacent to a storage area where corrugated cardboard boxes and foam trays were kept.

McFarland says the fire spread from the building to three connected buildings through a false ceiling.

The fire has been ruled as accidental.

No one was injured.

The Ballard family has operated the plant for the past 68 years.

The company produces bacon, pepperoni, lunch meats and other food products.

___

Information from: The Herald-Dispatch, https://www.herald-dispatch.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide