- Associated Press - Monday, December 1, 2014

MINDEN, Neb. (AP) - Authorities say a cigarette caused a grassfire near the south-central Nebraska community of Minden.

The Minden Volunteer Fire Department and Kenesaw Volunteer Fire Department responded to the Saturday afternoon fire. No one was injured.

Authorities say a man raking leaves in his yard discarded a cigarette. That caused a fire to start in a pile of leaves.

North Platte television station KNOP-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1rPkyHd ) the fire burned a part of the man’s yard, five acres of grassland across the street and several trees. The man’s home also sustained minor damage.

The fire was extinguished in 20 minutes.

___

Information from: KNOP-TV, https://www.knopnews2.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide