- Associated Press - Monday, December 1, 2014

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - A Bowling Green man who had a hand transplant last week has had the hand removed because it was failing.

Dr. Joseph Kutz (KOOTZ) said in a statement Monday that the 67-year-old man’s hand was failing on Sunday and surgeons decided to remove it after consulting with the family.

The Courier-Journal (https://cjky.it/1pJoSvL ) said it’s the second time in the Louisville hand-transplant program’s 15-year history that a new hand has had to be removed.

The hand was transplanted during a 16-hour procedure on Nov. 25. Recipient Jim Ray was the first hand-transplant patient to receive an experimental therapy using a patient’s own fat to stave off rejection.

KentuckyOne Health spokeswoman Barbara Mackovic said doctors don’t know whether the experimental therapy had anything to do with the hand’s failure.

___

Information from: The Courier-Journal, https://www.courier-journal.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide