- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 10, 2014

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Workers at a sewage plant in Jacksonville needed medical treatment after a fire ignited and hydrogen sulfide gas was released into the air.

The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department says the blaze started Tuesday morning at the plant operated by JEA, the municipal utility.

The Florida Times-Union reports (https://bit.ly/1ugVkl7 ) that a nearby shopping center was also evacuated due to the fire, but no homes.

Fire spokesman Tom Francis says the fumes from the fire posed no public safety hazard.

The fire was under control by 1 p.m.

Five contractors, who were laying a new roof on the facility, and two JEA employees, were hospitalized after breathing in the fumes. They were listed in stable condition.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide