- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 10, 2014

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - A man accused in the Mother’s Day 2013 shooting death of his former girlfriend has been acquitted by an East Baton Rouge Parish jury.

Carlos Thomas, of Baton Rouge, was charged with second-degree murder in the killing of Amanda McCullough.

East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore told The Advocate (https://bit.ly/1Gj2w6P ) his office respects the verdict of the jury.

“Obviously I’m happy for my client,” said Sean Collins, one of Thomas’ attorneys.

Members of McCullough’s family cried outside the courtroom.

In his closing argument to the jury of six women and six men Tuesday morning, Collins asked jurors to acquit Thomas, arguing that his DNA was found in McCullough’s Iowa Street home because he had previously lived there. Collins also noted that another man’s DNA was discovered inside the home.

There were no witnesses to McCullough’s slaying.

McCullough had obtained a temporary restraining order against Thomas on April 22, 2013, after saying he had become increasingly violent and threatened to kill her two young children. She had been awarded temporary custody of the children.

McCullough was found fatally shot just three days before a scheduled hearing in East Baton Rouge Parish Family Court.

In her petition for a protective order, McCullough said Thomas had shoved her, stalked her and threatened her 6-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter.

McCullough alleged Thomas also had taken her daughter in April 2013 “and threatened her life verbally to me on the phone and via text messages. He would call and let her cry in the phone, then hang up before I could console her,” she said in court filings.

McCullough said Thomas had shoved her three different times and “threatened to blow my brains out on several different occasions in front of my children.”

She also told police the day before she was killed that someone had broken her side bedroom window and apparently entered her house sometime between May 6 and May 11, 2013. Nothing was missing from the residence, but McCullough found the dead bolt on the front door unlocked, suggesting someone left through that door. Police were unable to lift any fingerprints from the scene, according the report.


Information from: The Advocate, https://theadvocate.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide