- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 10, 2014

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - In a procedural move, a Virginia prosecutor has dropped charges against an abduction suspect awaiting a federal kidnapping trial in Philadelphia.

Charles City County Sheriff’s Capt. Jayson Crawley said Wednesday that prosecutor Robert Tyler plans to ask a grand jury to indict Delvin Barnes on state charges after the federal prosecution is completed. Tyler did not immediately respond to an email message.

The 37-year-old Barnes last month pleaded not guilty in the Philadelphia case. He’s accused of kidnapping a woman, stuffing her into the trunk of his car and holding her captive for three days.

In Virginia, Barnes had been charged in the abduction and attempted murder of a 16-year-old Richmond girl. Authorities have said the girl, doused in bleach and gasoline, escaped while Barnes was apparently digging a grave.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide