- Associated Press - Thursday, December 11, 2014

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - A suicide bomber killed six Afghan soldiers in an attack on a military minibus on Thursday, the first assault in the capital Kabul in more than a week, officials said.

Another 10 people were wounded, said Farid Afzali, the chief of criminal investigation for Kabul police. He said the wounded included civilians but could give no further details.

The attack happened on a busy road in the east of the city during the morning rush hour.

“The suicide bomber was on foot,” said Hashmat Stanikzai, spokesman for the Kabul provincial police chief.

The Taliban claimed responsibility.

The attack marks the resumption of an intensified anti-government campaign by the insurgents after a brief lull in attacks on targets in the city.

In recent weeks, the insurgents had targeted military, diplomatic and foreign installations in and around Kabul, in what appeared to be a change in tactics to gain maximum publicity.

A drone attack in northern Parwan province meanwhile killed four insurgents, including a Taliban judge, and five civilians late on Wednesday, sparking a protest by residents, the provincial governor Abdul Basir Salangi said. The civilians had been in close proximity to the insurgents when the strike hit, he said.

Residents of the Sayagird district carried the bodies of the dead civilians into the district center on Thursday and marched through the town chanting “Death to America” and “Death to the Afghan government,” district chief Mohamad Sayed Sidiqi said.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide