- Associated Press - Thursday, December 11, 2014

FORT PLAIN, N.Y. (AP) - Police say a Mohawk Valley toddler has died after he swallowed liquid nicotine, the chemical used in electronic cigarettes.

Police in the village of Fort Plain tell media outlets emergency workers were called to a home shortly after 4 p.m. Tuesday. They found a 1-year-old boy unconscious.

The boy was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Police say they believe the poisoning was an accident.

Liquid nicotine is legally sold in New York as a supplement to e-cigarettes. The chemical must be diluted before being used. The concentrated liquid can be lethal to a child if as little as a half teaspoon is ingested.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is urging federal lawmakers to pass legislation requiring child-proof packaging for liquid nicotine sold to consumers.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide