- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 17, 2014

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) - A homeless amputee has lost nearly everything he owned - including his prosthetic legs - after a candle he was using to stay warm started a fire in a Topeka storage facility.

The Topeka Capital-Journal (https://bit.ly/16qk4TT ) reports the blaze, reported at 12:42 a.m. Tuesday, caused $135,000 in damage at AAA Self Storage. A local advocate for the homeless says the man had been living in the storage units for two months.

Advocate Justyn Hosman says the man lost “everything but himself and his wheelchair.” Hosman says he saw a melted prosthetic leg at the fire scene.

He says the unidentified man lost his legs several years ago when he was struck by a train near the Topeka Rescue Mission.

___

Information from: The Topeka (Kan.) Capital-Journal, https://www.cjonline.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide