- Associated Press - Thursday, December 18, 2014

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A fire has heavily damaged a building that’s used for receptions near the birthplace of a noted Mississippi author.

Commons Hall was built several years ago as part of a complex of buildings known as The Commons at Eudora Welty’s Birthplace.

The hall is separate from the house where the late author was raised, just north of the state Capitol in downtown Jackson.

Firefighters say the blaze Thursday appears to have started in a fireplace. Commons Hall is used for events such as wedding receptions.

Nobody was injured in the fire.



____

Online: Welty Commons: https://bit.ly/1zDGCLz

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide