- Associated Press - Thursday, December 18, 2014

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - Army investigators in Alaska have concluded that a corroded vent hose on a field stove led to a buildup of carbon monoxide that sickened 23 soldiers during a September exercise.

Lt. Col. Alan Brown tells the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (https://bit.ly/1GVgjkp ) that the toxic gas came from a gas-fueled oven used to heat trays of food in a kitchen tent.

Investigators concluded the corroded hose wasn’t properly connected and kept gas inside the tent.

None of the soldiers in the incident Sept. 25 near Eielson Air Force Base suffered life-threatening injuries. Nineteen were treated and released. Four showed elevated carbon monoxide levels in their blood but recovered after hospital stays.

The soldiers were part of the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

___

Information from: Fairbanks (Alaska) Daily News-Miner, https://www.newsminer.com


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide