- Associated Press - Friday, December 19, 2014

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Washington state man who was killed by police after a high-speed chase on a busy Minnesota freeway repeatedly stabbed himself after emerging from his crashed vehicle, and then charged at officers with a knife, authorities said Friday.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said Johnathon Dean Mar, 18, of Kennewick, Washington, ignored officers’ commands to drop the knife and get on the ground during the Wednesday morning incident on Interstate 694. Two officers shot him multiple times when he charged at them.

Authorities were pursuing Mar as a suspect in a fatal shooting earlier Wednesday at a highway rest stop in the Minneapolis suburb of Maple Grove. Matthew Paul Maffei, 23, who also had ties to Washington, was found dead at the rest area.

It was not immediately clear why Mar was in Minnesota, whether he knew Maffei or what might have led to Maffei’s shooting. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office said Maffei, who had no permanent address, died of a gunshot wound to the head. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Maffei’s shooting is being investigated by Maple Grove police. A message left with the department on Friday was not immediately returned.

The officers who fired their weapons were identified Friday as Hennepin County Sheriff’s Deputy Matthew Hagen and Brooklyn Center Police Officer Alan Salvosa. Both are on standard administrative leave, the BCA said. Hagen has been with the sheriff’s office for 15 years, and Salvosa has been with Brooklyn Park police for four.

According to a preliminary investigation, Maple Grove police arrived at the Elm Creek rest stop about 1 a.m. Wednesday to find a man had been fatally shot. Officers saw a red sport utility vehicle with Oregon license plates matching the description of the suspect’s, and began pursuing it.

Authorities followed the SUV until it crashed in the center median on I-694 in Shoreview, a suburb north of St. Paul. The BCA said Mar emerged from the vehicle with a knife and began repeatedly stabbing himself, ignoring officers’ commands to stop. Officers fired after he charged at them, the BCA said.

The Kennewick School District said Mar had been enrolled in the district for a total of seven months between 2011 and 2014. Most recently, he was enrolled at Legacy High School and Tri-Tech Skills Center since November, and had been at Southridge High School and Tri-Tech Skills Center earlier this year. He also attended an out-of-district online school.

School district spokeswoman Robyn Chastain said attendance records show Mar hasn’t been at school since Dec. 11.

Maffei attended middle school for 1½ years in the neighboring Pasco School District in eastern Washington but left the system in 2007, district spokeswoman Leslee Caul said.


Follow Amy Forliti on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/amyforliti

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide