- Associated Press - Saturday, December 20, 2014

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Firefighters in Columbia say a space heater caused a fire that killed a 6-month-old baby.

Investigators told local media that firefighters were called to the home around 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities say the space heater was in the Major Elliott Murphy’s room and a family member tried to save the infant, but the flames were too intense. Everyone else in the home escaped.

This is the second fatal fire caused by a space heater in Columbia in the past two weeks.

Five other people died in two separate fires early Saturday in Greenville County and Spartanburg County.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide