- Associated Press - Saturday, December 20, 2014

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. (AP) - A North Platte family has escaped harm, but must find another place to stay after an overturned candle sparked a house fire.

The North Platte Telegraph reports (https://bit.ly/1wzs272 ) that the knocked-over candle caught nearby curtains on fire. Firefighters say the flames spread too quickly for the family to extinguish.

Firefighters were called around 7:20 a.m. Friday. Assistant Fire Chief Trent Kleinow says the first to arrive found flames coming from a first-floor bedroom.

Two adults and six children escaped safely, and the fire was extinguished by 8 a.m. Kleinow says fire damage was limited to the bedroom, but the entire house suffered smoke damage.

The American Red Cross is helping the family with food, clothing and a place to stay.

___

Information from: The North Platte Telegraph, https://www.nptelegraph.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide