- Associated Press - Saturday, December 20, 2014

FLINT, Mich. (AP) - The family of a man who died of carbon monoxide poisoning after a storm cut power to his home is giving away 500 detectors so the tragedy won’t be repeated.

Richard Battle of Mount Morris Township died a year ago from exposure to carbon monoxide from the gas-powered generator.

“You can’t feel it, you can’t see it, you can’t smell it. They call it the silent killer,” Battle’s wife, Tonya Jackson-Battle, told The Flint Journal (https://bit.ly/1CjcaWK ).

Jackson-Battle and her husband’s son, Johnnie Person, started a foundation to make people aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Anyone who owns a home in Flint can go to the fire department and pick up one of the 500 free detectors, which can cost $15 or more at a store.

Fire Chief David Cox Jr. said people typically have smoke detectors but they often forget about carbon monoxide. It can leak from natural gas appliances that aren’t working properly or fireplaces that aren’t vented correctly. A generator running on gasoline shouldn’t be used indoors.

“Three breaths of carbon monoxide is enough to make you pass out,” Cox said.

Jackson-Battle raised money for the detectors by holding a musical event at a church where her husband played piano. Richard Battle died in November 2013. A storm had knocked out power to the Flint area.

___

Information from: The Flint Journal, https://www.mlive.com/flint


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide