- Associated Press - Saturday, December 20, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The parents of a 28-year-old man fatally shot by a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy have filed an excessive force claim, the family’s lawyer said.

Oscar Ramirez Jr.’s parents filed the claim as a precursor to a lawsuit after their unarmed son was shot five times by a deputy in Paramount, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday (https://lat.ms/1AqhMz5 ).

Attorney Ron Kaye said deputies have not been forthcoming about the Oct. 27 shooting. Ramirez’s father said a pair of detectives visited his home and asked to see his son’s belongings hours after the incident but never told him his son was involved in a confrontation with deputies or had been killed.

“Answers will not bring Oscar Ramirez back, but it will reasonably explain to these grieving people why this unnecessary death occurred,” Kaye said.

Sheriff’s Lt. Eddie Hernandez said a deputy chased Ramirez after believing he matched the description of one of two men who were reportedly armed in a city park. The deputy fired his gun after Ramirez raised his arm from behind his back in a threatening manner.

“That’s what caused the deputy to believe he was armed,” said Hernandez of the sheriff’s homicide bureau, which is conducting an internal investigation of the incident.

Hernandez said only one deputy fired his weapon. A student at a nearby high school’s sports field told NBC4 he heard about six gunshots before he looked out and saw several deputies, according to the newspaper.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, https://www.latimes.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide