- Associated Press - Thursday, December 25, 2014

PIERRE, S.D. (AP) - The South Dakota Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding residents across the state to be wary of cooking fires as they whip up holiday meals.

The safety office says cooking accidents are the most frequent causes of home fires. Keeping sleeves under control and monitoring simmering food can go a long way toward preventing fires.

Officials are also reminding residents to watch out for pooling grease and to always keep a fire extinguisher handy.

In addition to cooking fires, holiday traditions can make homes likelier to spark up. Authorities say South Dakotans should remember to water Christmas trees and unplug holiday lights. They say all houses should be equipped with working smoke detectors.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide