A man identified as “Barry One” has reportedly set up a legal fund and is making plans to sue “Girls” star Lena Dunham after she accused a Republican college student named Barry of raping her when she was 19 attending Oberlin College in Ohio.
In her memoir “Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She’s ‘Learned,’” Ms. Dunham, 27, describes an unwanted sexual encounter with the conservative Barry, in which she says she was drunk, high on Xanax and cocaine, and in no condition to consent to sex.
Breitbart News issued a report last week that allegedly debunks Ms. Dunham’s claims, arguing that no such Barry that matches her description attended Oberlin College at the time she was there.
“Under scrutiny, Dunham’s rape story didn’t just fall apart; it evaporated into pixie dust and blew away,” the report said.
Breitbart News did find a man named Barry who loosely fit Ms. Dunham’s description. They said the man identified only as “Barry One” has been in frequent contact with Ms. Dunham’s representatives and has recently set up a legal fund to cover legal expenses to clear his name.
“All proceeds will be spent by Barry on legal costs and related fees associated with defending Barry’s reputation,” the statement read, Breitbart reported, “including, but not limited to, potentially pursuing Lena Dunham and Penguin Random House for harm caused to Barry’s reputation from the publication and sale of Ms. Dunham’s memoir.”
Barry One’s attorney has reportedly been in contact with Ms. Dunham’s representatives since Oct. 6.
“Despite multiple requests,” the statement said, “Lena Dunham has not issued any sort of statement clearing Barry’s name and clarifying the confusion that is happening.”
“Any proceeds not used on legal related costs will be donated to not-for-profit organizations that assist victims of rape and sexual assault, to be selected at a later date,” the statement concluded, Breitbart reported.