- Associated Press - Monday, December 8, 2014

JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) - Joplin school officials say most of the district’s 14 new community safe rooms should be ready for use in time for tornado season next spring.

Safe rooms are already open at six elementary schools and a Junge Field. Rooms at another five elementary schools and Joplin High School are nearly complete.

The Joplin Globe reports (https://bit.ly/1sc2vv6 ) one safe room at Columbia Elementary School has been delayed by problems with preliminary ground work.

All the safe rooms will be open to the public whenever a tornado watch or tornado warning is issued, when severe weather includes winds of more than 75 mph, or when tornado sirens are sounded.

A federal grant paid 75 percent of the cost, with the other 25 percent paid by community block grants and the district.

___

Information from: The Joplin (Mo.) Globe, https://www.joplinglobe.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide