- Associated Press - Tuesday, December 9, 2014

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The family of a man shot and killed by Charlotte police more than two years ago is suing the city.

Clay McCall, 26, was shot Sept. 14, 2012, as he ran at officers with garden shears, The Charlotte Observer (https://bit.ly/1ufztdN) reported.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say McCall had a history of mental illness and violence. They say he was agitated, disoriented and uncooperative during the confrontation in which he was shot. McCall was struck in the chest and stomach and died at a nearby hospital.

The Mecklenburg County district attorney’s office says the officer was justified in shooting.

But Charlotte attorney Matt Newton said his brother had been calm and cooperative that morning and was shot even though he posed no threat.

Newton accuses the officers, Police Chief Rodney Monroe and the city and county governments of wrongful death and negligence.

Assistant City Attorney Daniel Peterson says the allegations are unfounded.

___

Information from: The Charlotte Observer, https://www.charlotteobserver.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide