- Associated Press - Wednesday, February 12, 2014

FAIRMONT, W.Va. (AP) - Marion County’s emergency chief says he concerned about a spate of carbon monoxide poisonings in the county.

Ten people have been hospitalized since Sunday, including seven workers at a Marcellus Shale pump station.

Marion County homeland security and emergency management director Chris McIntire tells The Times West Virginian (https://bit.ly/MKStT7 ) that there have been 30 total cases since January. The county typically sees five to 10 cases a year.

McIntire says he believes extreme cold weather is the reason for the increase.

Fairview Volunteer Fire Department chief Steve Gillespie says the seven workers who were sickened were working in a large unventilated tent containing two generators and several heaters on Sunday.

Three people were hospitalized Tuesday after a heating system in a house malfunctioned.

___

Information from: Times West Virginian, https://www.timeswv.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide