- Associated Press - Friday, January 24, 2014

ENFIELD, Conn. (AP) - The adventure of the last little lost sheep missing from a local farm since November ended recently when he was corralled by an animal control officer on a resident’s porch off Elm Street, then returned to its owner.

The black sheep - an 8-year-old male - was captured outside a resident’s home at an elderly housing development across the street from the Enfield Senior Center on Elm Street on Jan. 15, Animal Control Officer David Yoho said.

It had been on the lam with another sheep - a 2-year-old female - since Nov. 1 after they escaped from farmer Leland Pinney’s Elm Knoll Farm on Moody Road.

Sadly, the female sheep was hit and killed by a car near the senior center.

Yoho said he managed to capture the male sheep on a resident’s porch at the elderly housing development, and that it wasn’t particularly hard either.

“I just used a regular leash,” he said. “It really wasn’t that bad.”

Yoho said the sheep didn’t put up much of a fight.

And no one is happier that the sheep has been found than Pinney, who said he’s “ecstatic” the animal is finally safe.

“I don’t know whether to name him Lucky or Trouble,” Pinney said. “I think Trouble is certainly more appropriate.”

Pinney is keeping the sheep in a horse trailer on a friend’s ranch on Fletcher Road. He said he’s not sure what to do with the sheep just yet.

“I fed him and he seems to be eating well,” Pinney said.

Pinney said he has cattle, goats, donkeys and two other sheep living at friends’ farms in Enfield, Ellington and Coventry.

He said he’ll need a bit more time to figure out what to do with his wayward sheep.

The sheep, which is the size of a large dog, has overgrown and matted wool over its entire body, making it look disheveled. Pinney said that despite having been wandering around Enfield for 2½ months, the animal is in good health and he doesn’t plan on shearing its coat because it’s still winter.

“He’s going to be just fine,” Pinney said.

As for the deceased female sheep, Pinney said he plans on burying her at his home in Ellington.

“I just feel bad they were out there for that long,” he said.

Pinney said he knew cars could be a danger to the sheep, but never actually thought one of them would be hit.

On the initial escape, Pinney said the pair jumped over a short fence used to corral them into a trailer after a fall festival at Elm Knoll Farm.

“They were the only two left and they jumped,” he said.

Pinney said the two would jump fences all the time and come back. But when they did it again in November, they wandered away and never looked back.

“Once they jumped, they were long gone,” he said.

At his friend’s ranch on Fletcher Road on a recent day, Pinney kept the sheep on a rope as he led it briefly outside the horse trailer. “It’s been a long trial for him,” he said.

Yoho said both sheep had been “very elusive” despite sightings coming into the Police Department and animal control office almost daily.

“They really are quite fast,” Yoho said.

Yoho said he’s just glad the remaining sheep survived and the saga is over.

“We’ve never had to deal with anything like this before,” he said.

Pinney said today he “truly” hopes that the sheep never escapes again and to that end, wherever the animal ends up, his new home will be surrounded by a really high fence.

“You care about all the animals and you don’t like to see them go through this kind of stress. I know he’s stressed out but I’m glad he’s home,” Pinney said.


Information from: Journal Inquirer, https://www.journalinquirer.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide