- Associated Press - Friday, July 11, 2014

SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah (AP) - Investigators blame spontaneous combustion for a compost fire that damaged two buildings and sent a firefighter to the hospital.

Officials say the fire at Diamond Tree Experts in South Salt Lake began Thursday evening and reignited on Friday morning. It’s the same place where a compost pile went up in flames on July 3.

South Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Bowman says heat is generated inside the pile of grass and leaves, which was about 50 to 60 feet deep and an acre wide. He says hot weather and wind made the situation worse.

Bowman says a firefighter who was taken to the hospital Thursday after inhaling smoke was released Friday.

Employees at neighboring businesses tell the Deseret News the pile is too close and they want it moved.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide