- Associated Press - Sunday, July 13, 2014

NEW BUFFALO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Authorities in southwestern Michigan say an electrical fire broke out at a hotel, injuring two women and forcing dozens of visitors to evacuate their rooms.

The Berrien County sheriff’s department says the fire was reported about 8:40 a.m. Sunday at O’Brien Inn & Resort. It’s in New Buffalo Township, south of New Buffalo and 1 ½ miles north of the Indiana state line.

The sheriff’s department says the hotel clerk saw smoke coming from under the door of a vacant room. It says deputies and the clerk warned all 37 occupants, and they made it out safely.

A sheriff’s department statement says paramedics treated women ages 74 and 53 for smoke inhalation.

The department says the fire apparently started when a TV overheated. There’s no immediate damage estimate.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide