- Associated Press - Wednesday, July 16, 2014

MARION, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a man has been electrocuted while trying to steal copper from the roof of a building in Marion.

Marion County Coroner Jerry Richardson said the man died at a burn center a day after he was shocked. Richardson is still trying to identify the victim.

Investigators said the man was on a ladder around 1:30 a.m. Monday when it fell against a transformer, causing an explosion and shocking the man so badly his clothes caught fire.

Nearby residents called 911 to report the explosion and the burning man. Firefighters could not immediately help the man until utility officials could confirm power had been turned off.

Police are investigating and think at least two other people might have been helping the man and abandoned him after he was electrocuted.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide