- Associated Press - Friday, July 18, 2014

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) - Officials say a fire that destroyed a building in downtown Grand Island was caused by an electrical cord failure.

The Grand Island Independent reports (https://bit.ly/1nUH2aO ) that the fire on Sunday started on the building’s main floor. Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Schmidt says it was caused by an extension cord from a fan that was plugged into a surge protector.

The building was home to several businesses, including Ron’s Transmission, Shady Bend Builders and J&J; Thrift Store.

Total damages estimates aren’t yet available, but most of the building is considered a loss.

Authorities say one firefighter suffered minor injuries fighting the blaze, which was reported about 8 p.m.


Information from: The Grand Island Independent, https://www.theindependent.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide